Monday, April 29, 2013

Maggie Mae



Blogging and sewing is hard to go hand in hand. At least that's how I feel nowadays. I hardly have time to take photographs and upload and write post on my blog. But like any sewers out there, I'm glad I've a platform to share my finish products, especially when my girls happily wear them!


I've been thinking about buying the Maggie Mae pattern from Shwin& Shwin for some time now. But since I've one 8 year old and one 3 year old, the previous patterns for both sizes come in 2 kit. So, when I saw that they are offering size 6m to 10Y, I couldn't resist and bought them.  

I was not disappointed.  There is only 2 pattern pieces to cut. Front and back bodice and pockets. The skirts are just rectangles. The instruction is quite simple and I think I sew up one quite quickly.  For my 3 year old, I use her favorite Pink and Purple mix.  The pink fabric is from Sarah Jane's Out To Sea range "Find the Narwhal in Bloom" and purple is some cotton from Spotlight. I did the fabric cover buttons using the $2 kit from Daiso. So pretty right?

  



The 3T fits my 3 year old just fine, but the arm hole is a tad tight so next time, I'll probably trace a 4T.  She loves her new dress, especially it got pockets which I think is the right size for her. I put the pockets 2" below the waistline since it was not specified in the instruction.



For my 8 year old, I sewn her a tunic, without pockets. I also do away with the bottom band and measure her to get the length of the tunic since I find the original length pretty long. Now the tunic length is just right since it falls just nicely when she sits down and not fold under her bottom when she sits. The yellow fabric is Dress Up Bikes from Riley Blake and the brown is some suede fabric I got from Spotlight donkey years ago.


some more view of the fabric covered buttons.


I think this is a very simple but pretty outfit and I can see more to come since there is no need to set the sleeves. I will highly recommend it if you want something cute and simple. Till the next time...


No comments: